Job Opening: Research Technician
Opalux is a global leader in tunable colour technology research and development. Since 2006, Opalux has created innovative, optically variable security devices to combat counterfeiting and improve the authentication of banknotes, passports and other high-value items. Opalux has obtained extensive patent protection for its products and forged strong links with leading security printers, suppliers, central banks and identity issuing authorities.
Opalux offers the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research and development in a downtown Toronto location. The successful candidate will benefit from the supervision and guidance of Opalux’s experienced and award-winning scientific team. You can learn more about Opalux at www.opalux.com.
The successful candidate will work on Opalux’s anti-counterfeiting devices. The candidate’s tasks will include:
- Assisting in the formulation, coating, converting and integration of tunable nanostructured polymer films into ID document and banknotes;
- Carrying out scale-up activities on the lab and manufacturing scale;
- Optimization of a nanostructured polymer film, including maximizing performance and improving durability;
- Preparing samples and product demonstrators;
- Conducting analysis, data collection and reporting of analytical results;
- Tackling day-to-day production, process and technical problems as they arise.
The candidate should have at least a bachelor degree in a technical field like engineering, chemistry or physics. A high degree of curiosity, initiative and drive are required. The following attributes would also be strong assets:
- Evidence of previous self-directed problem solving or research.
- Experience with optics, paint or coating formulation, roll-to-roll coating, photolithography, clean rooms, polymer chemistry, product design and development.
- Good manual dexterity.
- Familiar with numerical computing software (ex. MATLAB)
- Strong attention to detail.
- Clear and organized record-keeping.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Ability to travel to the United States
Salaries are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Qualified applicants may send their resume, cover letter and transcripts to email@example.com with the subject line “Scientific Research and Development Position”. Resumes and cover letters shall be in a 12-point font and may not exceed one page each. Candidates submitting resumes or cover letters which do not meet these formatting requirements may not be considered.
All applicants are thanked for their application, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews may be conducted on a rolling basis. Please apply before December 1st to maximize your chances of receiving an interview.