Job Opening: Senior Coating Process and Formulation Engineer
Opalux is seeking an individual to join its development team on a full-time basis.
Opalux is a global leader in tunable colour technology research and development. Since 2006, Opalux has created innovative, optically variable security devices to combat counterfeiting and improve the authentication of banknotes, passports and other high-value items. Opalux has obtained extensive patent protection for its products and forged strong links – including revenue generating development contracts – with a variety of leading security printers, suppliers, central banks and identity document issuing authorities. Opalux offers the opportunity to conduct cutting-edge process and product development in a downtown Toronto location. The successful candidate will benefit from the supervision and guidance of Opalux’s experienced and award-winning scientific team.
Opalux is looking for a talented, driven and experienced individual to lead the scale-up of one of its anti-counterfeiting products. This product (OpalPrint Polycarbonate) is a thin-film hot-stamping foil which can be integrated into polycarbonate passports or ID cards and personalized with laser engraving equipment to generate a colour-shifting portrait of the document holder. More information on OpalPrint Polycarbonate can be found on Opalux’s website (www.opalux.com) and in this information sheet.
To date, Opalux has conducted pilot manufacturing for OpalPrint Polycarbonate. The successful candidate will help lead the effort to increase the yield, quality and efficiency of Opalux’s roll-to-roll manufacturing process for this product. Once this is accomplished, the Senior Coating Process and Formulation engineer will likely also oversee scale-up of Opalux’s other products, including a bi-stable colour-changing pigment, pressure sensitive mechanochromic material and sensor technology, all of which are manufactured using similar roll-to-roll techniques
The candidate’s tasks will include:
• Leading scale-up activities for Opalux’s roll-to-roll manufactured products, including developing processes, optimizing current processes, and producing process and equipment specifications;
• Producing and managing project plans;
• Sourcing and price negotiations for raw materials and supplies;
• Generating cost, price, and lifecycle projections for roll-to-roll manufactured products;
• Meeting development/production targets on an aggressive timetable, effectively managing staff to meet these targets, and preparing regular reports for internal or external circulation;
• Providing key feedback and direction on process and product development;
• Interfacing expertly and confidently with Opalux’s manufacturing and security printing partners in Europe, the United States and Asia;
• Conducting continuous product performance testing, optimization, and validation;
• Devising and managing quality control and assurance;
• Performing data collection and reporting of analytical results; and
• Tackling day-to-day production, process and technical problems as they arise.
The position has the following requirements:
• Demonstrated track record of successful thin film development, scale-up and manufacturing using printing or wet coating techniques (please note this is a job requirement);
• A high degree of curiosity, initiative and attention to detail; and
• Able to work in Canada and/or the U.S.
The following attributes would be strong assets for the position:
• Previous manufacturing experience;
• An undergraduate or advanced degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or a related field;
• Experience with aqueous and organic coating formulations and coating processes for producing thin films of adhesives, release layers, varnishes, and other types of functional coatings via roll-to-roll coating processes;
• Experience manufacturing transfer foils, in particular hot stamping foils;
• Knowledge of commercially available substrates, release layers, and adhesive layers;
• Experience in developing, managing and operating ISO quality systems;
• Experience in shipping and logistics;
• Excellent oral and written English communication skills;
• A professional engineering designation;
• Cost accounting experience;
• A professional accounting designation;
• Able to work in the United States.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Qualified applicants may send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Coating Manufacturing Position”. Resumes and cover letters should be in a 12-point font and be one page each.
All applicants are thanked for their application, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews may be conducted on a rolling basis.